I received most of my admission decisions and I could not be happier with the choices I have at this point.
I have to make a choice between attending a Top-20 Full-Time MBA Program, a Management Program for Engineers at one of the M7 Business Schools and a Masters program based in the Silicon Valley that focuses on Product Management in a School that is widely regarded as the best in the world for Computer Science.
I never thought I would be in this dilemma and it is wonderful to have such incredible options. All of these institutions are world-renowned, have a great overall ranking and reputation and are leaders in each of these fields.
At this moment I will most likely be attending the Program most relevant to Product Management in the Silicon Valley. This puts me on a very specific career route, something that I must consider because of my age and work experience being on the lower side than most B-School candidates. In the short term, I will gain more from this program and the reputation in Tech is unparalleled. The location is excellent too, making it a choice I just cannot resist. The MBA program will be more valuable in the long run, but there also is the risk that I do not get the career boost I hope for immediately since I am younger and maybe the ROI will not be as good as this other program. The Engineering Management Program carries the prestige of the M7 Schools, has a fantastic network but lacks the location and focus on Tech.
I guess I cannot go wrong with either choice, and I am excited that I will be attending a fantastic school! It has been a long wait but it has been worth it.
I made it!! After being wait-listed after interviewing in Round 1, This has been a really long wait. I am so happy! 😀 🙂
As an early career candidate, I was only 22 when I applied! Considering that the average admitted applicant at this school is 28 with 5 years of work experience on average, I knew it was a long shot. So when the admissions director called me, I was on top of the world! 🙂
Really excited, and I still have to hear back from the other school I have been wait-listed at. Waiting for my official admissions packet, fingers crossed for some form of financial aid.
In December, I got wait-listed by both schools I interviewed with. I am expecting to hear back from both in the next 2 weeks.
When I started this process, I was hoping to hear back from B-schools with an admit by December or be rejected and then just move on with other plans.
Now I am in a limbo, because I’m not admitted anywhere yet and I have no clue whether I will be in B-School next year, and I also have not been rejected.
Meanwhile, I have started working on alternatives. Waiting is difficult, but I believe in Murphy’s law so I am working on a back-up plan (or several :P). I want a big career move this year, I want to progress.
Just the process of applying to B-School is something everyone should go through once in their life. It has made me patient. It has made me more self-aware. I have become more risk-taking when it comes to career choices and I have also begun to dream big. I know about more possibilities that exist beyond the traditional career path of an engineer. I know more about applicants from different careers. Also, once you take the decision to invest 150k in your future with no guarantee whatsoever, every other risk pales in comparison. No wonder B-School people seem so much fun and keep doing insane things. They’ve risked it all.
It’s near the end of R1 admissions.. Most final decisions will be out next week.
Gotta stay positive and hope for the best!
My 2nd admissions interview was pretty good! The adcom member was traveling for information sessions to India, so I had an in-person interview. That was so much better than Skype, because I felt like I could connect better with my interviewer. She was really friendly and the interview was more like a conversation. I felt comfortable and confident. I also felt like I really got the chance to talk about everything I wanted the admissions committee to know about, so I’m praying it works out. 🙂
I didn’t hear back from 3 schools yet, but at this point an interview seems unlikely with just about 10 days to go! I am expecting to be either wait listed or rejected there.
The flip side is that the interview that went really well is the one school I really want to go to, so if it works out, I’m definitely going for it! 😀