I received most of my admission decisions and I could not be happier with the choices I have at this point.
I have to make a choice between attending a Top-20 Full-Time MBA Program, a Management Program for Engineers at one of the M7 Business Schools and a Masters program based in the Silicon Valley that focuses on Product Management in a School that is widely regarded as the best in the world for Computer Science.
I never thought I would be in this dilemma and it is wonderful to have such incredible options. All of these institutions are world-renowned, have a great overall ranking and reputation and are leaders in each of these fields.
At this moment I will most likely be attending the Program most relevant to Product Management in the Silicon Valley. This puts me on a very specific career route, something that I must consider because of my age and work experience being on the lower side than most B-School candidates. In the short term, I will gain more from this program and the reputation in Tech is unparalleled. The location is excellent too, making it a choice I just cannot resist. The MBA program will be more valuable in the long run, but there also is the risk that I do not get the career boost I hope for immediately since I am younger and maybe the ROI will not be as good as this other program. The Engineering Management Program carries the prestige of the M7 Schools, has a fantastic network but lacks the location and focus on Tech.
I guess I cannot go wrong with either choice, and I am excited that I will be attending a fantastic school! It has been a long wait but it has been worth it.
In December, I got wait-listed by both schools I interviewed with. I am expecting to hear back from both in the next 2 weeks.
When I started this process, I was hoping to hear back from B-schools with an admit by December or be rejected and then just move on with other plans.
Now I am in a limbo, because I’m not admitted anywhere yet and I have no clue whether I will be in B-School next year, and I also have not been rejected.
Meanwhile, I have started working on alternatives. Waiting is difficult, but I believe in Murphy’s law so I am working on a back-up plan (or several :P). I want a big career move this year, I want to progress.
Just the process of applying to B-School is something everyone should go through once in their life. It has made me patient. It has made me more self-aware. I have become more risk-taking when it comes to career choices and I have also begun to dream big. I know about more possibilities that exist beyond the traditional career path of an engineer. I know more about applicants from different careers. Also, once you take the decision to invest 150k in your future with no guarantee whatsoever, every other risk pales in comparison. No wonder B-School people seem so much fun and keep doing insane things. They’ve risked it all.
So After a lot of random ramblings, I have decided to apply to several programs, a mix of MBA programs and specialized masters programs that can help me achieve my goals. I have decided to be super ambitious and go ahead and apply to HBS, other M7 programs, specialized masters programs including those at Stanford, Columbia and Carnegie Mellon. I have a couple safety schools too, but I do not want to attend any school out of the top 25. The ROI doesn’t make sense and it won’t open the opportunities I am looking for.
It is a crazy number of schools. Also I plan on applying to ALL these schools in Round 1. Wish me luck! 😛
I have been introspecting and researching this whole process for one year. I think I will be able to put together a good application for all these schools. Additionally, I am drawn to each of these schools for various reasons – For some, its about the cost of attendance, for others its about the west coast presence in Tech. Some are dream schools, some have a strong focus on innovation, some have a great alumni network I would love to be part of, some are perfect for the kind of job roles I want to land post-MBA. There are just too many factors in this decision and I will have a clearer picture on where I can attend only once I get admission decisions and if any admits, the financial aid.
If this backfires and I don’t make it, I’ll still view it as a positive experience. At least I tried my best to chase my MBA dream. I’ll never regret not applying or keep thinking ‘What if..’ 10 years later 😀
If there is anything I have learnt over the past few months it’s this : There are several awesome schools but what matters most is going to the B-school that’s right for you!
That being said, another equally important piece of advice : Go to the best school you can get into!
Ultimately, from the second you step into B-school all you will care about is landing that post-MBA job. Which means you have to think from a recruiter’s perspective. Sure, rankings do not matter between schools in the same range and it’s like splitting hairs deciding if Booth is better or Wharton. That’s when ‘fit’ with the school matters. But it also is true that an MBA from Harvard will ALWAYS be perceived to be more prestigious than a school in the range 10-15.
Let’s stop pretending we’re all going to B-school only for that life-changing experience. Yes, B-school will be life-changing and a lot of wonderful stuff, but that’s NOT the ONLY reason we want to get there. Prestige is equally important. Prestige from the recruiters’ perspective. If you only want a life-changing experience, try backpacking in Europe to gain perspective instead of throwing away 200K + the opportunity cost. 😛
Now that does not mean that you just apply to the first ten schools you find in the US News Rankings. Remember What I said about the cons of B-school. If your school isn’t right for you, the picture won’t be so pretty. It’s going to be a stressful few years (the application process, the 2 years of rigorous coursework and paying off the debt post graduation ), so you better really really like where you’re going.